We asked Romeo “Meyux” Cordova, the founder of Cebu Trail Runners (CTR), on which among the 5 loops that compromised the Pamutan Five Trail Ultra Challenge 2015 (more details >>) is the most beautiful. He said that all the loops are beautiful – each has its own charm. So, instead, he shared to us a brief description of the each loop.
For those who are not familiar with Cebu Trail Runners unending trail series (see photos here >>), the group CTR has been doing trail expeditions, mostly on weekends, in the mountains of Cebu City which they call Cebu Trail Series. Over time, the group has collected different trail routes. Then the founder Meyux came up with a brilliant idea of setting up a challenge, Pamutan Five Trail Ultra Challenge 2015 (PUTA). The PUTA will have a typical ultramarathon trail running event set-up, which route is compromised of 5 different trail routes combined in one event. (By the way, the trail series is open for any one who loves and wants to explore outdoors. If you want to join, simply like Cebu Trail Runners facebook page here >>.)
This is not actually the first time the group organized a trail running event. Last year in September, they had their first Cebu Fat Ass Trail Run, a trail running event with 42K and 26 categories, but it was a free event.
This year, the core members of CTR who are really known for ultramarathon trail running wants to try an ultramarathon distance. Cebu City has beautiful trails but it has not yet produced a signature ultramarathon trail running event so PUTA is in a way, a process of getting to that goal. Founder Meyux is hesitant yet to really open it as an official race because knowing the risk behind a trail running event, they wanted to try it on their selves first, and he admitted that generally the running community is still not ready for this type of races yet.
So for those who wants to join the whole 100+KMS of trail love, or for those who just want to hit a portion of it, here is what you can expect from the different loops:
Meet-up place: BPI Punta Princesa
Assembly time: 8:00pm-8:30pm
Race venue (Start/Finish Line): Pamutan Outpost/Bagsakan
Gun time: 10:00pm
Cut-off time: 30 hours (equivalent to 6hours/loop)
Estimated Total Elevation: 7,000 meters
Estimated Total Distance: 115+KM
(Each loop below will start and finish at Pamutan Outpost/Bagsakan. For the details of schedule and more info, please check the facebook events page here >>.)
1. Blue loop – MOST TECHNICAL. It’s because the route is mostly loose soil with fragmented rocks, steep downhills with roots and loose soil, downhills on cliff edges.
2. Red Loop – QUAD BUSTING. Being named as quad busting, this loop has the highest total elevation gain among all. If you want to be in a roller coaster ride, then you’ll have it in Red Loop because of its steep ascents and descents. You’re going to be crossing valleys.
3. Black Loop – EASY ON THE EYES. This loop will be along the Mananga River, which will give you a lot of amusing scenery for your eyes.
But don’t be too fooled with the “EASY” description for this route because it has the longest total distance of 27.79KM, and total elevation gain of 1,217M.
For more photos of the Black loop, click here >>.
4. Green Loop – PEAKS UNLIMITED. On this loop, you will be running from one ridge to another. I had joined this loop, and yes, definitely the peaks is unlimited.
5. Yellow Loop – MAJESTIC. This route will give you a feeling of enchantment when you go thru a forest of old mango trees to plantation of flowers.
Yellow loop has a total distance of 22KM, with a total elevation gain of 1,291.
For more photos of the Yellow Loop, click here >>.
For those who are not yet ready for this event, CTR Founder Meyux that they will be organizing a shorter distance trail running event this October, in time for the Psoriasis Awareness month. He’s looking at Oct. 25, 2015 as the date for the trail running event, which will be for the benefit of Cebu Flakers which he is a member of. Cebu Flakers is a support group for individuals with psoriasis.
So LIKE Cebu Trail Runners facebook page to not miss any of the trail-loving events, click here >>!
To those without caption, Photo credits to Cebu Trail Runners.