Related Event: 3rd All Women Ultra Marathon (AWUM) 2014
Related Stories: Be Tats with Bikik Besavilla’s Running
STRONG is the SEXY: Firsts of Team Davao Runner’s Lone Ultra Heroine
STRONG is the SEXY:The Mom Trained for Marathon by Running from Kids’ School
Since everyone’s on a taper mode already, following is a video of Haide Acuna’s talk she gave last All-Women Ultra Marathon 2012 pre-race gathering at Ayala Active Zone, Cebu. This 1-hour video will surely keep those jitters away, give you additional tips, and fun. It’s not often we get to hear a veteran in ultra running share experiences, so go get some pop corn and healthy “drinks” and watch this. There’s also a cameo of Joel Garganera in this video, too.
“Conserve conserve conserve” was the word / phrase I best remember about this talk. Thus, until now, my running speed is still at a very conservative pace. Nevertheless, it brings me to a lot of finish lines.
Few Notes from the Talk
“We learn little from victory. We learn much from defeat.” – Japanese Proverb
Aside from being an accomplished runner, Haide Acuna had also gone thru DNF’s and not-so successful race finishes. Thus, she can be considered to have a more variety of knowledge in running and racing. Following is quick note from the talk.
Ultramarathon is different. It’s run at a slower pace. The slower the pace, the more chances of finishing.
1. Train specifically.
2. Beware of junk miles.
* tips on back to back
* scheduling rest days
3. Hard and easy cycles
* Let go of missed runs. Don’t beat your self so hard for missing runs.
4. Run by effort rather than run by pace
5. Do not be ashamed to walk.
* If you’ll use run-walk interval strategy, don’t wait until you get tired before you take your walk break. Do brisk walk to not lower your heart rate so that it will not hard to restart running again.
* Distance of electric posts is 50m apart any where, which Haide learned from Mendel Lopez.
6. Race like the tortoise, not like the hare.
* The secret to “joyful” marathon is on your pace.
* Conserve Conserve Conserve energy
* Tips on how to get that perfect finish-line photos.
7. Plan your fuel, practise fueling before race.
8. Sharpen your tool.
– Main tool is our body so work on core. Strong core means you can carry better your weight.
– Strength training made her a better runner
9. Make time for cross training.
– Yoga / pilates can help lessen ITBS.
9. Train your mind
* You claim it – visualize your victory lap.
* For smudge-free eyeliner, try maybeline gel eye liner
* Sleepasil, a herbal supplement, as sleeping aide.
* Tips on menstruation during running / race event. Nothing to worry as it will stop.
* Give up? Remember to go relentless forward motion.
There are more tips, and fun in the video so go take time to watch it.
In the last part of her talk, she talked about why she runs. It’s because it is one of few things in life that only you can do on your own for yourself. Running is something based solely on your merit, and no one can take it away from you.
GIRLS, claim the victory!!!
Thanks to Tony Galon for helping me out in getting Haide’s permission for publishing this video.